Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tip of the Week (Catch up 1) - January 12

Since I owe you all quite a few tips, I'll be posting a few tips this week. As they are fresh in my mind, here is the first of a few appliqué tips:

Used fabric softener sheets are an amazing tool for appliqué, especially when you have curves and points.  The shrubbery  along the sides of my appliqué block pictured in my previous post, Have you ever seen a quilter cry? were done using this method.  Trace the applique form on the wrong side of your fabric; you might need to reverse your tracing.  With the fabric right side to the dryer, stitch around your tracing with using a 1/8" seam.  Cut a small slit in the fabric sheet and turn it inside out.  Iron the piece.  The sheets are extremely light;  you may choose to trim them close to the seam.  Position the appliqué on your block, then sew by machine or hand.


No comments: