Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Great SCOT! (Something Completely Off Topic!)

The scheduled and unscheduled merriment of the holidays obviously took a bigger toll on my body than I thought.  For almost a week, I was knocked flat with a head and chest cold.  I try to stay away from antibiotics unless I have a fever, because on the rare occasion when I am sick, it is most often my body saying:  KNUCKLEHEAD--slow your roll! No matter how I try to pace myself, it seems that my tasks, meetings, deadlines and such all seem to pile up into a few CRAZY busy days.  During that time, I don't eat properly, burn the candle at both ends, and run my body down.  Most times, I get away with it, but a couple of times a year, my body defends itself,  and in no uncertain terms.

Most OTC (over the counter) drugs treat symptoms I don't have, and I hate that.  Would I take a pain reliever if I didn't have a headache?  No.  Why would I use something containing a pain reliever and fever reducer if I only have a cough or nasal congestion? I wanted to share two recipes that help me get through most colds; to this I might add whatever single product (i.e., a nasal decongestant or specific cough syrup) needed.  Important note:  these recipes are designed to make you sweat; after using them, keep yourself warm.   Bundle up, head to toe, in bed or the sofa!

Toddy for the Body
Hot water
Lemon Juice
Freshly grated ginger (important!)
Honey
Cayenne Pepper  (important!)
Optional:  shot of bourbon, rum or whisky

Combine lemon juice, honey, grated ginger; add shot if desired.  Pour hot water over mixture; add more lemon or honey to taste.  Sprinkle cayenne pepper over top and stir.

Garlic Soup (adapted from Bon Appetit)
2 tablespoons butter
15 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
2 tablespoon flour
2 cups chicken stock
cayenne pepper (as much as you can stand!)
salt

Melt butter over medium-low heat.  Add garlic and saute until mixture is just golden, about 2 minutes.  Add stock and bring to boil, stirring constantly.    Reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.  Season with cayenne and salt.

No comments: